So, last weekend, I was binge-watching a show on Netflix called Marcella, which is amazing, and I was thinking back… Every Friday night, I use to go to TGI Fridays with my friend Tory, and I would always get Tostado nachos. It’s like a take on potato skins, which you can always get in any sports bar or steakhouse.
I’ve gained some weight during the quarantine. So, I’ve refrained from ordering from Postmates and getting them, but I found a recipe on Tik Tok for loaded cauliflower bites. They looked super tasty, and the best part is, they are a low-carb, high-fat appetizer, snack, main course… whatever you want it to be.
So, I present to you… Keto Cauliflower Bites
For this, you only need a small head of cauliflower, bacon bits, sour cream, eggs, spring onions, salt, and pepper to taste.
You would also need a food processor or blender on standby.
Start by chopping the cauliflower into small bits; Take out the leafy base first, then cut through the middle of the head and chop each half into small bits.
Transfer the chopped cauliflower into a food processor and blend until a near fine crumbs texture.
For the spring onions, you only need to chop the white and the pale green portion that is just above the root… That’s right. You only need the scallion.
In a large bowl, pour in the blended cauliflower, chopped scallion, bacon bits, sour cream, salt, and pepper to taste. Crack in the eggs and stir with a wooden spoon to combine the ingredients.
It gets easier from here…
Grease the muffin pan with your cooking spray. Then, use an ice cream scoop to add the cauliflower mix into each cavity of the muffin pan. You can use a spoon to smoothen the tops and press the mixture together.
Throw it into the oven to bake for 25 minutes till the edges are nicely browned. Once it is ready, allow it to cool for up to 10 minutes before taking it out of the pan so it will come off easily.
You can proceed to eat it with your favorite keto dipping sauce or alone as a snack.
If you would like your keto cauliflower bites to turn out more browned and crispier, you should use an air fry instead of baking (See recipe for instructions).
Can I Deep Fry My Keto Cauliflower Bites?
Absolutely. But I do not think it is such a healthy alternative to the other cooking methods available — Baking and Air frying. As much as this recipe is keto and weight loss friendly, you don’t want to load it with extra calories and saturated fats that’ll forfeit its purpose.
Keto Cauliflower Bites Recipe
- Cutting board
- Food processor or food blender
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- Muffin pan
- Ice cream scoop
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 small head of cauliflower
- Bacon bits
- ½ cup Sour cream
- 2 cups shredded jack cheese
- ½ cup scallions, chopped
- 3 eggs
- Salt to taste
- Ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the leaves at the base and chop the cauliflower into small bits. Transfer the chopped cauliflower into a food processor and blend until fine crumbs.
- Scoop the blended cauliflower into a large bowl and add in the chopped scallion, shredded cheese, sour cream, bacon bits, a sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste. Crack in the eggs, and combine all the ingredients with a wooden spoon.
- Grease the muffin pan with your cooking spray. Using an ice cream scoop, put some of the cauliflower mix into each cavity of the muffin pan. Smoothen the tops to press the mixture together.
- Bake for 25 minutes till the edges are nicely browned. Let it cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from the pan.
- If you would like your cauliflower bites to turn out more crisped and browned, you should use an Air fryer. Spray the basket of the air fryer with cooking oil spray to prevent the cauliflower from sticking. Space the cauliflower bites about 1/2 inch apart. Set the air fryer to 375F and cook for about 12 minutes or until your desired crisp.
I know you’d enjoy these Keto Cauliflower Bites as much as I did. Did you do something different? Did you bake or air fry? Let’s chat in the comments.