This beautifully layered Easy Cuban Sandwich Recipe is every pork lover’s dream. I’m a lover of the Cuban Sandwich, and a glass of chilled Cuba libre *winks*.
Each layer of this sandwich plays a significant role in its flavor. The layers of ham and roasted shredded pork combined with the tangy and tart taste of the pickles and mustard plus the creamy taste of the melted swiss cheese.
The fun part is, this recipe is pretty quick and easy.
You would only spend more time cooking the shredded pork tenderloins or shoulders because of the time it takes to cook.
Main Ingredients for Cubano Sandwich
There are spotlight ingredients used in making this delicious Cubano Sandwich recipe.
Cuban: If you can’t get Cuban bread, you can use any other soft loaf. I made use of fresh sourdough rolls for this recipe.
Roasted Pork: You can use shredded mojo pork, pork tenderloin, or shoulder. For this recipe, I used some leftover roasted pork I made the day before. No worries, I’d share my recipe soon.
Ham: Another kind of pork needed to make the Cuban Sandwich delicious. This sandwich is truly a pork lover’s dream. You can layer as much ham as you want.
Swiss Cheese: This gives it a peculiar taste. Make sure you use enough cheese slices so that it melts everywhere to give you the perfect cheesy taste.
Dill Pickle: If you want to get all that tangy flavor, dill pickles are a must-have in this recipe.
Yellow Mustard: Use plain mustard unless you have special preferences.
All ingredients are readily available so let’s get right into this Easy Cubano Sandwich recipe.
Easy Cubano Sandwich
- Chopping board
- Kitchen tong
- 2 Large skillets
- 2 Sourdough rolls
- 4 Swiss cheese slices
- Roasted shredded mojo pork
- 6 Slices of ham
- 6 Thinly sliced dill pickles
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) Unsalted Butter, softened
- Yellow mustard
- Slice the bread rolls in half and spread some butter on the inside of each bread.
- In a large skillet on medium-low heat, place the bread rolls with the buttered side facing down to toast for up to 5 minutes, then set aside.
- In another skillet, melt a tablespoon of butter on low heat. Place the ham to fry for up to 7 minutes on each side.
- Ready your toasted bread rolls on the cutting board. Drizzle some mustard and spread a spoonful of mayo on the inside of each bread.
- Now, say you have the top and bottom half of the sandwich, place up to 3 dill pickles on both bottom halves, layer with 3 ham each, roasted pork, then cover it up with the 2 cheese slices each. Now, close the sandwich with the top half and press it down a little.
- Spread some butter on the outer side of the top bread. Place the buttered side in a large skillet on low heat, set a heavy skillet, such as an iron skillet, on top of the sandwiches to press them down. Once toasted, flip the sandwich, butter, and toast the other side.
- Done! Slice each sandwich in half and serve with some Cuba libre.
Now, that is some delicious Cubano Sandwich. I enjoyed every bit of making and eating it. If you tried it, do let me know what you think. Did you use Cuban bread or not? Did you use mojo pork, pork shoulders, or tenderloins? I’d like to hear all about it.
Have you seen the Disneyland Grilled Cheese Sandwich yet? Check it out!